Wednesday, August 1, 2007

festering mediocrity


I didn't think that I would be laboring in such obscurity.


I thought that once I plunged into the blogosphere, that I would have a sort of instant notoriety. I thought that hip, young, subway-riding men would be subscribing to my almost daily blog looking for moments of enlightenment to brighten their otherwise dreary train ride to mediocrity. I expected people to read my posts and be either inspired or inflamed, and be compelled to respond.


So what happened? Where are my subscribers? Where are the impassioned responses to my posts?


Here is the ugly truth:


There are precious few Bentleys on the information super highway. It doesn't matter how wide the lanes are, inviting more vehicles hasn't done anything to raise the overall level of discourse. Most of what is printed, posted, or published is heaps of festering mediocrity.
Probably, my writing is only adding to the traffic. Just one more idiot who refuses to use his turn-signals.


"Put down the bumper sticker and no one will get hurt."

No comments: